Lorin Paley – Profile
US Team Member: 2007-2011 Seasons
Hometown: Steamboat Springs, CO
Birthplace: New York, New York
Birth Year: 1992
Education: Dartmouth College, class of 2015
USTSA Team Sponsors: Karbon, Global Rescue, Scarpa, Back Country Access, LEKI, Smartwool
Personal Sponsors: Nordic Naturals, Osprey, Smartwool, Swix, Steamboat Ski Resort, UVEX, SoreNoMore, Climbon, SuperFeet, Chaos, Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Financial, NUUN Active Hydration, PranaMountain Hardware, Blizzard, Mountain House, Thule
My Skiing History:
I began alpine skiing when I was three at the smallest ski area imaginable in NJ. When I was in 4th grade, we moved to Steamboat Springs and my alpine race coach introduced me to Telemark. I have been freehealing ever since. In 2006 I made it onto the US Telemark Development Team after some good results at US Nationals. In the 2007/8 season I skied my first Telemark World Cup at Sugarbush, Vermont. In 2009 I won two gold medals at the Junior World Championships in Kreischberg, Austria in the Classic and Sprint Classic. Last season I reached the podium at four World Cup races in the US and Europe. This year I will be an international training partner with the Swiss National Telemark Team and hope to race the full schedule of World Cup races in Europe and the World Championship races in Norway.
My Goals and Motivation:
Last year was a break out year for me with four top three finishes in Norway, the US and Europe. This gave me the motivation to ski the full WC schedule in Europe to see what I can accomplish. I have deferred from college for the year and will train with the Swiss Team. My goals are to make it on the Overall WC and World Championship podiums by March 2011.
Why do I Telemark Race?
Telemark racing is the most versatile and athletic ski racing sport I have experienced. Combining downhill gate racing with jumping and Nordic skate skiing is exhilarating, challenging and fun.
Interesting Facts About Myself:
I am an ambassador for a youth led group called Outdoor Nation. Our mission is to get more youth involved in healthy outdoor activities. We are funded by the Outdoor Industry Foundation and had over 300 participants from across the country at our youth summit in New York City’s Central Park this summer.
- -3rd place Classic, World Cup, Bjorli, Norway
- – 2nd place Sprint, World Cup, Steamboat Springs, CO
- – 3rd place Sprint, World Cup, Espot, Spain
- – 2nd place Classic, World Cup, Espot Spain
- – Junior World Champion, Telmark Classic and Sprint Classic, Kreischberg, Austria
- – 1st GS and Classic, 2nd overall, US National Championships, Steamboat Springs, CO
- -World Cup, Sixth place Sprint Classic, Kobla, Slovenia
- – 1st place in regional competition at Steamboat Springs, Colorado
- – 2nd overall US National Championship with a 1st place in SL at Tamarack Resort, Idaho
- – 6th overall at World Cup Finals at Sugarbush, Vermont
- – Named to the US Telemark A Team
- – US Telemark National Championship, 2nd place overall, 2nd place GS sprint, 2nd place GS classic, 3rd place GS, Steamboat Springs, Colorado