Celebrate Telemark at Grand Targhee 2017
Freeheel Life Cup and Karbon Telemark National Championships at Grand Targhee Resort
The greatest weekend in Telemark in 2017 will be at Grand Targhee Resort and includes both the USTSA sanctioned Freeheel Life Cup telemark freeskiing competition, and the Karbon Telemark National Championship races. Bringing it all together is a free event, the 3rd Annual World Telemark Day Celebration at the base area of Grand Targhee Resort. March 2-5, 2017 will prove to be the center of the telemark universe. Both the Freeheel Life Cup and Karbon Telemark National Championships epitomize the peak of telemark competition in telemark freeski and race, and World Telemark Day represents the ultimate celebration of all things telemark.
KARBON TELEMARK NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – Race
No Experience is necessary. We have race categories for everyone.
- Junior 2 – age 13 and younger (as of 12/31/16)
- Junior 1 – ages 14-17 (as of 12/31/16)
- Citizen – ages 18 and older, including Masters…racing for fun
- Expert – all ages, must have a USTSA Competitive Membership to enter this division
The schedule for the weekend is:
Thursday, March 2 – TWO Classic Races – (one run each race – 2 runs total)- Includes GS gates, a Nordic style jump, a 360 degree banked turn and a Nordic Skate to the finish. This race is considerably longer than the Sprint Classic. The first of the two classic races will be used in the calculation of the National Champions.
Friday, March 3 – Parallel Sprint – This is the exciting new head-to-head competition event that you’ve seen in videos on the USTSA website. We will start the day with a qualifing run(s). Then the top 32 or 16 men and 8 or 4 women (depending on number of competitors) will race head-to-head in the finals.
Saturday, March 4 – Sprint (2 runs with combined time). Includes GS gates, a Nordic style jump, a 360 degree banked turn and a Nordic Skate to the finish.
Sunday, March 5 – Weather day if needed
Additional Race Information:
- Helmets are required and for racers. If you are racing in the Expert Division the helmets MUST have hard ear coverings.
- The top 3 Men and Women overall will recieve cash prizes. 1st Place will receive $200, 2nd Place will receive $125 and 3rd Place will receive $75.
- Nordic style skate poles are recommended for all events.
- USTSA points will be calculated for Competitive and Junior members. FIS points will be calculated for those with Telemark FIS licenses.
- View Competition Rules and the complete Competition Guide
FREEHEEL LIFE CUP – Freeski
Wednesday, March 1 – Junior Freeski Athlete meeting @ 5pm
Thursday, March 2 – Junior Freeski Qualifier round, Adult Freeski Athlete Meeting @ 5pm
Friday, March 3 – Adult Freeski Qualifier round
Saturday, March 4 – Junior & Adult Freeski Finals
Sunday, March 5 – Weather day if needed.
Additional Freeski Information:
- Avalanche beacons, helmets, and bibs required on course at all times.
- Registration will be capped at 50 Juniors, and 50 Adults, and will close on February 26th, 2017 unless previously sold out.
- Initial Junior Freeski Athlete meeting at 5pm on Wednesday night, March 1st. Initial Adult Freeski Athlete meeting at 5pm on Thursday night, March 2nd.
- A Cash Prize will be presented to the top Adult Freeski men and women.
- See freeski competition rules here
- Waiver Forms will be required to compete. They must include the competitors signature, or a parent’s signature if the competitor is under 18 years of age. It will help the registration process if you print these waivers and have them completed when you arrive at check-in/registration. If you are under are under age 18 and your parent will not be with you at sign in, then you must bring signed waivers with you. No Exceptions.
- USTSA Waiver
- Grand Targhee Waiver
- There will be an annual USTSA membership meeting Friday evening.
- A casual dinner of pizza, beer and soda will be held Saturday evening after awards for all competitors and volunteers. The cost is included in the race entry fee.
- An Apre party will be held Saturday at the Trap Bar following awards and dinner.
- For more information as we get closer to the event, check the USTSA Events Calendar on our website or visit our Facebook page
WORLD TELEMARK DAY
Grand Targhee Resort 1-800-TARGHEE
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED EACH DAY – If you have family or friends attending the races with you, please ask them to volunteer. No experience is necessary, we will train the volunteers. A lift ticket and a $10 lunch voucher will be provided for the day. We will be using SignUp.com to coordinate volunteers. Encourage your friends and family members to visit the USTSA website and volunteer. These events can only happen with volunteers!